22-06-2011, 08:58 PM
Hi,
You are so kind Tony; thank you.
I did consider making a top guard for the sander but find the contour of the belt as it rolls over the top drum to be very useful.
Yes I agree it is built on linisher lines but I added the backing plate as my work tends to be flat; my two lathes take care of round work.
I visited Screwfix yesterday for a number of items and whilst there noticed the sanding belts in their catalogue finally reminding me to buy a fine 120 grit belt. I've kept forgetting to buy a fine belt but wanted one for use in tool sharpening. I've read that a belt sander is much kinder to tools as less heat is generated than using a high speed bench grinder. Wood chisels and turning tools can be sharpened leaving a flat bevel; it will be interesting to see how the sander performs on such items. The fine belt will only be used on metal and is changed in seconds.
I do tackle projects Tony that on first impression would appear beyond me but I find by breaking the most complex problem down into basics I can usually win through in the end; so far this approach has never yet failed me and of course there is usually a number of options available whilst solving problems; I tend to go for the most difficult option first before finding the simplest.
Kind regards, Col.
You are so kind Tony; thank you.
I did consider making a top guard for the sander but find the contour of the belt as it rolls over the top drum to be very useful.
Yes I agree it is built on linisher lines but I added the backing plate as my work tends to be flat; my two lathes take care of round work.
I visited Screwfix yesterday for a number of items and whilst there noticed the sanding belts in their catalogue finally reminding me to buy a fine 120 grit belt. I've kept forgetting to buy a fine belt but wanted one for use in tool sharpening. I've read that a belt sander is much kinder to tools as less heat is generated than using a high speed bench grinder. Wood chisels and turning tools can be sharpened leaving a flat bevel; it will be interesting to see how the sander performs on such items. The fine belt will only be used on metal and is changed in seconds.
I do tackle projects Tony that on first impression would appear beyond me but I find by breaking the most complex problem down into basics I can usually win through in the end; so far this approach has never yet failed me and of course there is usually a number of options available whilst solving problems; I tend to go for the most difficult option first before finding the simplest.
Kind regards, Col.








