18-12-2011, 07:21 PM
I have to confess to being the numptiest of numpties this weekend, disregarding something I've known and adhered to for at least five decades, namely, do NOT use an extension reel coiled up, especially when using appliaces which draw heavy current, such as fan heaters. I have (or rather had) a 25M (82 ft) heavy duty extension reel which I use mainly for outdoor jobs, but yesterday, I needed to work in my garage as there wasn't enough room to work in my double-glazed, insulated, heated, cosy workshop to make a router jig for cutting radio backboards (more of that in another thread).
I hate cold weather with a passion, so - having taken both cars out of the garage, where I have a wall-hung B&D workbench - I decided to put a 2KW fan heater on to try to warm things up a bit. I unravelled a few metres of cable from the extension reel but didn't really want 82 ft of it snaking around the garage so left some on the coil. I plugged in the heater and everything was tickety boo for a while - heat billowing out, radio on, I almost felt cheerful! Then the fan stopped, the radio stopped and - was that smoke that I saw and an acrid plasticky rubbery smell in my nostrils? You're already ahead of me.
A couple of pictures are attached, one of which - as if I didn't know it - cleary spells out a warning to completely uncoil the flex. The other pic shows the consequences of not doing so. I've bought another extension reel and note that all of those on sale in B&Q, including the one that I've bought, now have built-in thermal cutouts to prevent Darwin's theory of the 'non-surviival of the stupidest' from being proven. I guess I must have come from a small gene pool - do I hear the distant sound of duelling banjos? Yes, I think so:omg:
In a act of self-inflicted punishment I've worked in the perishing garage all day with no heat on today, which must be the equivalanet of self-flaggellation, but let's not go there! In definace against the forces of nature and Jack Frost, I've succesfully made the router jig to make a new backboard for a pre-war 'Little Maestro', which has been on my 'to do' list for at least two years. Having made the jig, it took less than half an hour to accurately cut three rows of 18 slots in a piece of oil tempered hardboard, which makes ideal radio backs. (A thread on that will follow).
So, the end result is that I've got my happy face on today:D
I hate cold weather with a passion, so - having taken both cars out of the garage, where I have a wall-hung B&D workbench - I decided to put a 2KW fan heater on to try to warm things up a bit. I unravelled a few metres of cable from the extension reel but didn't really want 82 ft of it snaking around the garage so left some on the coil. I plugged in the heater and everything was tickety boo for a while - heat billowing out, radio on, I almost felt cheerful! Then the fan stopped, the radio stopped and - was that smoke that I saw and an acrid plasticky rubbery smell in my nostrils? You're already ahead of me.
A couple of pictures are attached, one of which - as if I didn't know it - cleary spells out a warning to completely uncoil the flex. The other pic shows the consequences of not doing so. I've bought another extension reel and note that all of those on sale in B&Q, including the one that I've bought, now have built-in thermal cutouts to prevent Darwin's theory of the 'non-surviival of the stupidest' from being proven. I guess I must have come from a small gene pool - do I hear the distant sound of duelling banjos? Yes, I think so:omg:
In a act of self-inflicted punishment I've worked in the perishing garage all day with no heat on today, which must be the equivalanet of self-flaggellation, but let's not go there! In definace against the forces of nature and Jack Frost, I've succesfully made the router jig to make a new backboard for a pre-war 'Little Maestro', which has been on my 'to do' list for at least two years. Having made the jig, it took less than half an hour to accurately cut three rows of 18 slots in a piece of oil tempered hardboard, which makes ideal radio backs. (A thread on that will follow).
So, the end result is that I've got my happy face on today:D
Regards, David.
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'







