Golborne Vintage Radio

Full Version: Soak test - origin of the term
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The term "soak test" is widely used and understood. And it doesn't usually involve waterSmile

I've had a look around online and can't find the origin of the term. Any ideas?
Perhaps for soil shear strength testing in civil engineering???

https://aip.scitation.org/doi/pdf/10.1063/1.4998381

Peter  Unsure

Consolidated drained (CD) shear box tests are used to determine the effective shear strength parameters of soils
as recommended both by British and American standards. The effective shear strength parameters of soils can be
determined using consolidated isotropic drained (CID) triaxial tests, consolidated isotropic un-drained (CIU) as
specified in BS 1377: Part 8 (1990) and Head (1986). CD shear box tests as specified in ASTM D 3080-98 (1998)
and Head (1994) can also determine the effective shear strength parameters of soils. For cut slopes, the effective
stress (drained or long-term conditions) is normally more critical than the total stress (un-drained condition). It is
usual to carry out the slope stability analysis in terms of effective stress for cut slopes as reported by Chin and Meng
(2004) and Gue and Fong (2006). In CD shear box tests, the soil specimen is soaked and normal force is applied
until all consolidation settlements are completed.
That sounds a bit complicated to me, Peter!

I prefer my wife's idea. Helen thinks it might come from soak testing fabric by placing it in water and leaving it to soak to see if the dye is fast or leaks out.
I also think Peter's suggestion is a bit complicated. Could it be naval slang? A bit of kit is OK if it can survive a prolonged soaking?
Witch test.... Smile

Lawrence.
Disappointed!

Peter Cry

Must stop that I'm getting soaked.
(15-10-2019, 05:36 PM)pwdrive Wrote: [ -> ]Witch test.... Smile

Lawrence.

Ducking stool ?

Sorry, irony impaired.
I was also wondering where this term came from, but assumed it was from something being tested in a tank of water to see what happens.