Golborne Vintage Radio

Full Version: Tektronix 434 s/n below 500000 faulty ps.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
It would be easier to see what is happening on the screen if you turned off the flash when taking these photos!
Woohoo - well done!

There is something screwy with the sweep speed though. The calibrator frequency should be 1kHz. But your sweep speed seems to be set to 0.1us/div and the frequency looks like slightly but not quite 2kHz. Is the time/div variable knob in the cal position?

(EDIT - your sweep speed might actually be 0.2us/div, which means that it is close but not quite right for 1kHz)

But in general the sweep is adjusted according to the procedure starting on page 5:24. Now that calls for a time/mark generator, but provided that you know that the 1kHz calibrator in the scope is 1kHz you can use that just as well.

I did not have any problem with your photos by the way.
A frequency counter could also be used to check the calibrator.
Craig what a great feeling I will check out the page you mention. Your edit was correct.
Refugee I don't have a frequency counter perhaps I'll have a go at making one.
There is both a frequency and amplitude adjustment in the calibrator circuit. Does your DVM have a frequency measurement function?
Just checked the calibrator frequency on one of my scopes with two DVM's - both Fluke, an 8060A and an 87V. Both read 1kHz +/-1Hz . Which suggests that you can use the frequency function of a DVM to check the calibration of the calibrator frequency.
Do those hand held tablets still have an audio input on them?.
I think you can download something for them so that you can measure audio frequency with them.
I have a HP3325B sythesizer Function generator with all kinds of sweep and marker frequencies butt I don't know how to use that either just barely get buy with the scope. I bought a few items when I was housebound due to illness about 6yrs ago. Only now I am trying to learn how to use them as my health has improved. Gradually picking up things these forums and the guys are great.
Thanks again.
Well the HP should work.
It will be crystal controlled so all you need to do is to set it to 1Khz and display it on one trace and simply adjust the calibrator for minimum drift with the calibrator on the other trace.
That should be easy.
Tried one DMM that measured frequency measured 994.5Hz. Fluke 85 only goes up to 400Hz.
Set FG to 1Khz see photo's. Very slight adjustment of R817 looks good.
HP3325B need to play about with this for a while confusing to me at the moment to many things going on in the old napper. ha ha.
Happy that Tek434 showing trace will keep you all up to date. Once I get the hang of it I will post some signals never used storage just simple signals
Please keep any suggestions coming helps me to learn.
Many thanks to all. Especially Craig.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16