Golborne Vintage Radio

Full Version: Ball in a block, cube in a cube
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just a bit of trivia!

In a recent thread on sundry diversions which cause me to go off on a frolic and distract me from single-mindedly focusing on one project at a time, seeing each project through to completion,  given that woodworking and woodturning are parallel hobbies for me, recently Gary sent me the link below, which shows how to get  1" diameter steel ball through a 7/8" diameter hole into the centre of a small block of wood. (2.25" cube). It isn't nearly as challenging or skilled as it sounds. Firstly, though the ball is 1/8" larger is diameter, that's only 1/16 either side of the hole (not that a hole or a ball have 'sides as such, but you'll get my drift). Secondly, the cellular structure of wood is that if a series of 'straws' with varying degrees of moisture in them. Thus, the wetter the straws, the easier it is  to push them apart to allow an object to enter.

The challenge isn't so much to get the ball into the block, but how to prevent the block drying out so fast that it cracks due to shrinkage and stress, depending on the grain structure. 

No woodturning involved - just a 7/8" Forstner bit to drill the holes. Just a bit of fun really:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO7aFRO5WMw

The other diversion - far more demanding and time consuming - is that of  turning a cub in a cube in a cube. Again, 2.25" diameter. Calls for a measure of accuracy in turning that's more akin to engineering than woodturning, so it's a bit outside my comfort zone. After each side has been hollowed out, a snug fitting plug has to be turned to push into the hole to support the wood while the opposite end is turned, until all six sides have been turned. If accurately done, the inner cubes come free of their own accord. Two tools are required to turn inside the outer cube, then the first inner cube. The tools have to be made from old chisels. There are two below - one is in London plane, the other is Iroko. Each completed cube takes about 6 - 8 hours. Of course, they fall far short of what the Chinese did for centuries, turning spheres within spheres, within spheres in ivory.

I made them for my granddaughters to take to school to annoy their 'Design and Technology' teachers. I say 'tell the teacher I made them on a 3D printer that prints in wood' Biggrin

Still no excuse for not pressing on with my Ekco A77 restoration - probably just a symptom of as yet undiagnosed ADHD.
Hi David, looks good.
ADHD is an annoyance in the young but is expected in the older when you can please yourself ~ known as growing old disgracefully.

ed
(13-11-2015, 02:17 PM)Yorkie Wrote: [ -> ]I made them for my granddaughters to take to school to annoy their 'Design and Technology' teachers. I say 'tell the teacher I made them on a 3D printer that prints in wood' Biggrin

I love it Smile

Alan
Many years ago when my brother also worked where I did, we made a wooden whale in a bottle. He did the carving and it was clearly too large to fit through the neck. The secret was placing it in a plastic bag to exclude water and pressure-testing it to 10,000 psi (which was routine there and in fact we made the pressure chambers from 16" naval gun shells). That crushed the wood enough to fit through the neck, and then soaking in water expanded the whale again.