Golborne Vintage Radio

Full Version: Bush TR82D MK2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This set is one of two I acquired at the same time.
[attachment=9496]
[attachment=9500]
The previous owner must have been a bit clumsy as the chassis was propped up in order to access the controls due to three of the fixings being broken away from the cabinet.
[attachment=9497]
I powered it up and the electronics were fine apart from the low ends of both bands cutting out sharply at the same place on the dial.
The chassis now has to come out without snapping the dial.
I opted for a different method to most after having a peep down between the aerial and the chassis and spotted access to push it off by the spring retaining ring.
[attachment=9498]
[attachment=9499]
With the chassis out without the broken dial tears the tuning capacitor was shorting and stopping all signals at the low end of the bands.
I took it out and prepared it to go to the special menders.
[attachment=9503]
This is where I sent it.
http://golbornevintageradio.co.uk/forum/...p?tid=3897
While the capacitor was away the cabinet can be sorted out.
[attachment=9501]
[attachment=9502]
Now to rebuild the fixing points for the chassis.
They looks a pretty daunting task and are going to be a challenge.
I got a bit of scrap ABS and chopped it all up to make the bits that the chassis screws to screw into. These are fixed in place with xylene based lacquer as this melts ABS and dries quickly forming a true weld.
Once this was dry I filled the end closest to the front of the cabinet with hot melt glue.
Now I filled the space with epoxy from the other side to add further rigidity to the chunk of ABS that the screw will go into as well as grip the remains of the fixing point more solidly.
hi
what does the D denote ? & what is abs ? as i have 2 broken lugs on mine as well
The D suffix will denote change in a production parameter, I don't know off hand the difference between the different variants, others on the forum will know for sure.

ABS is a type of plastic, you can salvage bits from whatever or you can buy it easily, available in sheet, bar, tube form etc.

Lawrence.
The D means it's finished in Tan and Chrome.

- Joe
There has been a long thread on another site with all the variants being covered.
The "D" model number is ivory and tan and the "C" is light grey and dark blue. MK1 has The transistor line up OC44, OC45, OC45, and two variants in the audio stage.
The MK2 has AF117, AF117, AF117, OC71, OC81D, OC81, OC81. and physically smaller audio transformers.
The TR82 is an early example of a set with a cabinet that is made of ABS plastic. I have some parts of a modern TV cabinet that have been slowly chopped up to make many brackets and spacers for all sorts of tasks with the biggest two bits making the amplified speakers for my computer. It was the stiffening ribs from the cabinet floor that made the replacements for the brackets in my TR82. The solvent is xylene for the cement for ABS and the easiest way to get it is to use PCB lacquer but check the warning label to make sure it is the correct type as there are others.
(03-12-2013, 01:16 AM)Refugee Wrote: [ -> ]There has been a long thread on another site with all the variants being covered.

If you're referring to my thread? It's actually on this site, here; Bush MB60, TR82, VTR103 and other variants

(03-12-2013, 01:16 AM)Refugee Wrote: [ -> ]the "C" is light grey and dark blue.

The colour of the plastic on the TR82C is often quoted as light grey but it is in fact a light blue/green. The colour of the plastic on the MB60/EBM60 models is light grey. I appreciate the difference is subtle and somewhat subjective, but here are images of a MB60 and TR82C for comparison;

[attachment=9522]

Many TR82C's that have been exposed to too much UV by being sat in sunlight for most of their lives turn a pale olive green.

[attachment=9523]

Regards
I had forgotten where your thread was but still I was aware and I have looked at it with interest.
My TR82D does have the earphone socket so if you are doing any research on serial numbers and so on you now know.
They must have made the cabinets in large batches because the ABS plastic was a new material for consumer products and getting a colour match between batches would have been very difficult. Perhaps they had to do the entire production run in one go.
The AF117s in my TR82D are working fine at the moment fingers crossed.