Golborne Vintage Radio

Full Version: 1950s Battery Valve Portables - Misconceptions?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Thanks, presumably a self oscillating mixer?

Lawrence.
Yes, in the vast majority of models using a DC90.

Typically in those using a DF97, the VHF tuner head circuit broadly follows thosed based around an ECC85 or UCC85 found in many common 50s mains only table sets, but in miniature of course.

Regards
And then the GEC BC4941 of 1948 if un-cracked is always popular. Called by some the Bowling Ball it must be one of the heaviest portables made. But I like mine. The only weakness is the edge on/off wavechange switch that goes about 6 months and then needs another squirt of De-Oxit.

[attachment=9135]

Gary
A lot of the pre-war Pye sets were Marketed as 'Portable', except you need a Sack Truck to do the job Smile

Alan
(06-10-2013, 04:51 PM)AlanBeckett Wrote: [ -> ]A lot of the pre-war Pye sets were Marketed as 'Portable', except you need a Sack Truck to do the job Smile

Very true Alan. I believe pre-war portables were more correctly described as 'transportable'. It wasn't until the miniature B7G valves replaced the large 2 volt filament types, so doing away with the heavy and bulky lead-acid accumulators that were required, that things really 'lightened-up' and sets became true portables.

(06-10-2013, 04:39 PM)Radio Fixer Wrote: [ -> ]And then the GEC BC4941 of 1948 if un-cracked is always popular.

I've got a bakelite 'bowling-ball' too Gary, here's mine;

[attachment=9136]

I think this model is of the 'marmite' variety (ie; you either love or hate it) but I really like it. It's unusual shape is what attracts me to it, certainly can't think of another set quite like it!

I didn't include the GEC BC4941 earlier with it just pre-dating the 50s but if we are dipping down into the 40s as well, how about the following;

[attachment=9137]

If you don't recognise the model it's a HMV 1406 from 1940, which is also a clone of the Marconiphone 895. The only difference between the two being the logos and the colour of the plastic trim, ivory for the HMV and red for the Marconiphone.

Despite the set having five full-sized 2 volt filament valves, plus needing HT, GB and a small lead-acid accumulator, it was only roughly the same size/weight as the much later Ever Ready Sky Emperor/Berec Commander sets mentioned previously.

I think an attractive set and certainly one of my favourites.

Regards

The Pye 75B - Post War New Baby Q - used the 1.5v Octal series Valves, DK32, DF33, DAC32 and DL35. Within 3 years it had been replaced by the 79B with the usual 91 series Valves.
I've got a 75B somewhere.

Alan
As a matter of interest which was the last valve portable radio to be made or released in the UK and when?

[EDIT: And were there any TRF/Regen post war portables ? (not counting hobbyist ones like HAC etc)]

Lawrence.
I have a sky queen 2 from 1958 it uses 2 modules that look like thick film units but aren't
I believe that after this time sets were made with valve front ends and transistor audio stages.
Rob T
(06-10-2013, 07:37 PM)pwdrive Wrote: [ -> ]As a matter of interest which was the last valve portable radio to be made or released in the UK and when?

The Ever Ready Sky Captain, or as its Berec Buccaneer equivalent, is generally accepted (at least on Radiomuseum.org) as 'probably' the last battery valve portable made in Great Britain.

It was released in April 1961 costing £7 3s 1d plus purchase tax. The valve line-up was DK96 DF96 DAF96 DL96 and its was powered via a 90 & 1.5 volt Ever Ready B141 combined battery.

More details here; http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/ever_sky_captain.html

Regards
(06-10-2013, 07:37 PM)pwdrive Wrote: [ -> ]And were there any TRF/Regen post war portables ?

I'm not aware of any TRF portables produced post-war, but its not something I've really looked into. I would imagine they are all superhet designs by that time.

The only TRF portable I have is a Wayfarer Major dating from 1936;

[attachment=9143][attachment=9144][attachment=9145]

I purchased it via eBay back in 2008 but have yet to sort out its battery arrangements and give it a try. In the intervening five years I have only seen two other sets listed, so its quite a scarce model.

More details here; http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/londonelec_...major.html

Regards
Pages: 1 2 3 4