Golborne Vintage Radio

Full Version: Anyways..What Are You Up Too
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Mark,

My usual strategy when I've identified a duff one is to chop all the pins with a sharp pair of cutters, lift them out with a pair of tweezers while melting the solder and mop the solder up with wick.

Lawrence,

Mine did that for a bit and I took to using the Wall Switch, which I found a bit odd 'cause it shouldn't make any difference. Eventually the Mains Switch siezed up and I had to bite the bullet and sort it - just lack of lubrication in a very primitive looking open-frame switch. It hasn't done it since, which I find even more odd. Perhaps I'll get round to the FAZ soon as I've now obtained the plugs and cable.

Alan
Sympathies for the Essex trip David, turn up at the door with yer underpants on yer head and two pencils up yer nostrills, that should shut him up.

Lawrence.
(14-07-2013, 07:31 PM)AlanBeckett Wrote: [ -> ]Mark,

My usual strategy when I've identified a duff one is to chop all the pins with a sharp pair of cutters, lift them out with a pair of tweezers while melting the solder and mop the solder up with wick.

Lawrence,

Mine did that for a bit and I took to using the Wall Switch, which I found a bit odd 'cause it shouldn't make any difference. Eventually the Mains Switch siezed up and I had to bite the bullet and sort it - just lack of lubrication in a very primitive looking open-frame switch. It hasn't done it since, which I find even more odd. Perhaps I'll get round to the FAZ soon as I've now obtained the plugs and cable.

Alan

Yes Alan that switch is to "die" for...Ah the FAZ unit, forgot about that, we got connectors from the same bloke I seem to recall, the SSB converter at this end is a Racal....Still sitting where I left it...And so it goes.

Lawrence.
(14-07-2013, 07:31 PM)AlanBeckett Wrote: [ -> ]Mark,

Yes, that's exactly what I did. Well, after I'd done the first one (oops!).

I won't name and shame, but I'll never take on one of these again!
GEC tellies used to have double sided print, any techs remember them?

Lawrence
(14-07-2013, 07:14 PM)Mark Hennessy Wrote: [ -> ]The audio amplifier has bad noise, but this isn't the usual fault with these, so not the Lockfit for a change. It's white noise rather than the usual 1/f noise, and a distant memory tells me that this might be the AC128 VAS/driver T4. We'll see...

And on the bright side, it was T4 Wink
Well we're still moving house, but as well as doing my radio show, I am restoring a Shibaden Reel-to-Reel Video Recorder.

The Mechanics are now as good as sorted. Now it's the electronics.

Without a manual!!!

Cheers,

Steve P.
Yes Lawrence, Rob Filby (RacalRob). He's two miles away from me and I didn't know until you told me where to get plugs etc.

Alan
(14-07-2013, 08:35 PM)AlanBeckett Wrote: [ -> ]Yes Lawrence, Rob Filby (RacalRob). He's two miles away from me and I didn't know until you told me where to get plugs etc.

Alan

Rob's a really clued up guy, especially on Racal's. Some years ago he bought an Eddystone EA12 from me which he collected in person.
(14-07-2013, 07:49 PM)pwdrive Wrote: [ -> ]GEC tellies used to have double sided print, any techs remember them?

Lawrence

Yes: especially the way the solder pads would lift - and then break off - when you removed a component. Sad Some of the later GEC colour sets seemed to have more than their share of dry joints, too. Dodgy

Al.

Pages: 1 2 3 4