Golborne Vintage Radio

Full Version: Nuvistor base
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Any ideas on making a base for a Nuvistor type 7586, 5pins, seeing as they appear to be rather thin on the ground?
Mike
If the pins are solderable then I have a solution. using some thin card I made a template and then drilled the holes in some 1mm pcb. I can then etch the tracks in the normal way. i just need to find some ferric chloride, some hopes here.
mike
(28-06-2013, 01:51 PM)boiss Wrote: [ -> ]I just need to find some ferric chloride, some hopes here.
mike

I’ve mentioned before on the forum that I've long since abandoned using ghastly ferric chloride, on both cost grounds, and the fact that it’s so messy. It’s only merit is that it lasts quite a long time in solution. Instead, I use Sodium Persulphate clear PCB etchant. This is a much cleaner effective alternative to ferric chloride and has a 6 – 8 minute etch time at 45C – 50C. (above 50C it loses its strength). The bath life is a maximum of 4 – 6 weeks depending on use and operating temperature. Unlike ferric chloride, it leaves no residue – the solution turns pale blue in use. I warm it up with an aquarium heater and check with an infra-red thermometer, but you can stand the plastic etchant container in a washing up bowl of boiling water to warm up the etchant. You can use it cold – it just takes longer to work.

As the PCB etches, the liquid turns light blue and you can see through it to check etching progress, unlike Ferric Chloride. You can use it several times over. I use an aquarium heater to warm it up, and an aquarium air stone about 4” long, with a small aquarium air pump, placed in the bottom of a plastic cereal container to ‘bubble’ the solution to speed up the etching process, but you don’t have to.

The product is supplied as a fine crystalline white powder and instructions for use are printed on the bottle label. A 500 gram HDPE bottle of Sodium Persulphate copper etchant will make up to 2.5 litres of etching solution. This is far cheaper than messy ferric chloride, which from Maplin, presently costs £8.99 in crystal form to make 1 Litre of etchant, or in concentrated fluid form, at £9.99 which makes 500 mL of etchant.

I get Sodium Persulphate in 500G plastic bottles from a reputable hobby chemicals source at less than half that price - £3.50 for 500g plus P&P at cost, £2.24. So for £5.74 I can make 2.5 L of etchant. That’s £2.30 a Litre compared to £8.99 for a litre of Ferric Chloride from Maplin Crystals, or £19.98 if bought from Maplin as a concentrated liquid.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270746775207&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Sometimes the listing goes off, then comes back on a week or two later - I've been buying it from there for about five years.

There's this supplier too:

http://cgi.ebay.fr/Sodium-persulfate-500g-/260905000311

Hope that's of interest.

(28-06-2013, 03:00 PM)Yorkie Wrote: [ -> ]
(28-06-2013, 01:51 PM)boiss Wrote: [ -> ]I just need to find some ferric chloride, some hopes here.
mike

I’ve mentioned before on the forum that I've long since abandoned using ghastly ferric chloride, on both cost grounds, and the fact that it’s so messy. It’s only merit is that it lasts quite a long time in solution. Instead, I use Sodium Persulphate clear PCB etchant. This is a much cleaner effective alternative to ferric chloride and has a 6 – 8 minute etch time at 45C – 50C. (above 50C it loses its strength). The bath life is a maximum of 4 – 6 weeks depending on use and operating temperature. Unlike ferric chloride, it leaves no residue – the solution turns pale blue in use. I warm it up with an aquarium heater and check with an infra-red thermometer, but you can stand the plastic etchant container in a washing up bowl of boiling water to warm up the etchant. You can use it cold – it just takes longer to work.

As the PCB etches, the liquid turns light blue and you can see through it to check etching progress, unlike Ferric Chloride. You can use it several times over. I use an aquarium heater to warm it up, and an aquarium air stone about 4” long, with a small aquarium air pump, placed in the bottom of a plastic cereal container to ‘bubble’ the solution to speed up the etching process, but you don’t have to.

The product is supplied as a fine crystalline white powder and instructions for use are printed on the bottle label. A 500 gram HDPE bottle of Sodium Persulphate copper etchant will make up to 2.5 litres of etching solution. This is far cheaper than messy ferric chloride, which from Maplin, presently costs £8.99 in crystal form to make 1 Litre of etchant, or in concentrated fluid form, at £9.99 which makes 500 mL of etchant.

I get Sodium Persulphate in 500G plastic bottles from a reputable hobby chemicals source at less than half that price - £3.50 for 500g plus P&P at cost, £2.24. So for £5.74 I can make 2.5 L of etchant. That’s £2.30 a Litre compared to £8.99 for a litre of Ferric Chloride from Maplin Crystals, or £19.98 if bought from Maplin as a concentrated liquid.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270746775207&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Sometimes the listing goes off, then comes back on a week or two later - I've been buying it from there for about five years.

There's this supplier too:

http://cgi.ebay.fr/Sodium-persulfate-500g-/260905000311

Hope that's of interest.

OK thanks David, Many Happy returns Too !!!