Golborne Vintage Radio

Full Version: Another "RF Signal Generator"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I've just made one of these

these

and it seems to work very nicely. The antenna-matching LED doesn't seem to work but I'm yet to investigate that fully.

I made a few changes to the design. I used two 1000µH inductors in parallel instead of a 470µH one and I couldn't get the specified trimmer caps so used miniature tuning capacitors; these have the advantage of being panel-mountable. I also used BC337 transistors.

The range is good, without being dangerously so.

Here is the beast itself:-

[attachment=5571][attachment=5572]

A 1kc/s sine wave:-

[attachment=5569]

Glassvegas' 'SAD Light':-

[attachment=5570]

Judas Priest's 'Breaking the Law' would have been more appropriate I suppose Wink

The diagram available via the YouTube link isn't very clear so here's a tarted-up version:-

[attachment=5573]

- Joe
Errrrrr?
What does that mean?

Alan
You're too quick, Alan; I was still playing about with the post.

The proper one is there now.

- Joe
nice one joe
rob t
Thanks, Rob. Making it was simplified by my home-made Vero track breaker:-

[attachment=5575]

I don't know what the handle part was originally as it came in a job lot of old tools. I found that the axial hole was just under ⅛" so I opened it out and put a spare dill bit in.

- Joe

Andrewausfa

Well done Joe. Certainly a massive amount of Veroboard there for a small project Wink
Was it a sigh of relief when you finished it and it worked?

I may have a bash at this myself, that last one (by the same chap??) we spoke about some months ago that I built still works. Which is frankly amazing in itself.

Andrew
I started on that bit of Vero as I've found myself not having room for the last few bits too often. Wall

That first one is OK but I find mine won't stay trimmed and is spluttering harmonics all over the spectrum. This one seems much better.

I also built a Mini-Mod which works well too but it, or the aerial, has to be a few inches from the receiving set and seems quite heavy on batteries. This latest one will ultimately be mains-powered - at least there's plenty of room on the board for the necessary bits.

- Joe
(15-08-2012, 12:13 PM)Joe Wrote: [ -> ]Judas Priest's 'Breaking the Law' would have been more appropriate I suppose Wink

- Joe

Or maybe The Clash - 'I fought the law and the law won'? (Well not yet it didn't!):

Breakin' rocks in the hot sun
I fought the law and the law won (twice)
I needed money 'cause I had none
I fought the law and the law won (twice)...

Well done Joe - looks very neat, and the scope traces look nice and clean. I don't think Ofcom will be knocking on your door any time soon!
So long as it doesn't end up as:-

When they kick in your front door
How you going to come?
With your hands on your head
Or on the trigger of your gun?

- Joe
Here is one.....

Ofcom are coming for you
you've done enough homebrew,
the signal is too strong,
jail is where you belong.

Methinks i shall gather the bits.
Seems a good project, thanks for posting.

cheers Bob (incognito, not recognisable, just a radio guy)
Pages: 1 2 3