01-04-2015, 03:33 PM
Today I thought the battle was lost. I was cleaning up a Bush transistor radio and needed to pop the dial knob off to get behind the PCB. I was caught off guard as the string that wound around the lower knob gradually slackened and next thing I knew it turned into a whole new stringing operation. I had no diagram as it just happened.
Anyway, I was soon finding all sorts of problems. The dial would pull one way and not the other and so on. I got to the point I didn't think I had a clue. The last radio I strung was a 1939 TRF so not a lot of experience.
In the end, I concluded I didn't have much chance of getting it as it was before so I started afresh with ways I could possibly do it my own way. And it worked. Not quite sure how I did it but it ended with the spring and my needle nosed pliers so the spring has been stretched out a bit. The positions and the winding is a bit different, especially the way it's routed but I was amazed to find it worked. On turning the tumbler dial at the top, the wheel on the condenser moved to left and right. So, I was very happy about that.
Anyone find stringing difficult? Anyone ever given up and tried to just do the job an alternative way?
I have a bit of soldering to do and I do need a new face dial (the sticker part) but the Bush radio should soon be active again.
Anyway, I was soon finding all sorts of problems. The dial would pull one way and not the other and so on. I got to the point I didn't think I had a clue. The last radio I strung was a 1939 TRF so not a lot of experience.
In the end, I concluded I didn't have much chance of getting it as it was before so I started afresh with ways I could possibly do it my own way. And it worked. Not quite sure how I did it but it ended with the spring and my needle nosed pliers so the spring has been stretched out a bit. The positions and the winding is a bit different, especially the way it's routed but I was amazed to find it worked. On turning the tumbler dial at the top, the wheel on the condenser moved to left and right. So, I was very happy about that.
Anyone find stringing difficult? Anyone ever given up and tried to just do the job an alternative way?
I have a bit of soldering to do and I do need a new face dial (the sticker part) but the Bush radio should soon be active again.







