Golborne Vintage Radio

Full Version: Old lathe of unknown make and age.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This lathe has been in the workshop since 1998. To date, I've done nothing with it. It's about time I did.
It was bought from a second-hand shop in Alnwick.

Geordie McBoyne.
Nice! It looks like it might be a Drummond.

[Image: Old-Drummond-metal-Lathe.jpg]

Peter
Looks to have a back gear too. That's a nice lathe. Better than mine. :-)
Hi David I bought that someone on this forum would tell you what make it is kind regards Bob
Hi David, it could well be an early Drummond, with the "stiffner" over the top of the drive and back gear area.

Find a suitable bench space for it and I'll come over and set it up for you. I might even be able to find a motor for you

Ed
Hi Ed,
many years ago you kindly gave me a quarter horse power motor to drive the lathe.
The attachment shows a less complex Drummond lathe.

Geordie McBoyne.
will be nice to see this lathe working again after its long rest since 1998 kind regards Bob
I agree that it is a Drummond, they were subsequently taken over by Myford and I think that type became the ML4. That type was fitted in all Navy ships during WW2 to enable them to do repairs at sea. A good website to research all old lathes is www.lathes.co.uk.

Andy
Would like a Lathe myself but I just dont have the room unfortunately.
Keeping an eye on the thread to see the completed restoration.
Work continues on recommissioning the lathe.
The attachments shows a layshaft with gears. I have no knowledge of it's function.
The first picture shows the shaft and gears in a neutral state.
The second picture shows it in an engaged position. In this condition everything is in a locked-up state.

Geordie McBoyne.
Pages: 1 2