Golborne Vintage Radio

Full Version: The Photographic Electrical Co Ltd
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[attachment=19340]
I dug this little active speaker out from on top of a cupboard where it has been resting for 20+ years, to use it with a morse practice oscillator. It is left over from my 16mm film days and I think that it came with an Acmade picsync used for synchronising the sounds on 16mm magnetic tapes with the 16mm film print. I gave the picsync away a long time ago but for some reason held on to this. It uses a single PCL82 but there is a transistor lurking under the chassis.
I reformed the smoothing caps and did a visual then checked a few resistances and some capacitors for open circuit, plugged it in and it still works! It isn't HiFi but it will do for what I need. I am not sure that this is the correct place for this post but the picsync is in effect a tape player.
[attachment=19336]
[attachment=19337]
[attachment=19338]
Useful bit of test gear, you often need a little amp in the WS. Whats the valve an ECL8*? If so check the voltage on the pentode grid to make sure the coupling cap isn't leaky. If it were mine I'd be tempted to replace the selenium bridge rectifier with a modern one.

Andy.