Golborne Vintage Radio

Full Version: Sony TV9-90 CRT in a Bush TV22
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi.
Obviously the CRT wont fit the mask due to different shape. Id suspect though I could stiffen the the back of the mask and get it to a better fit on the tube.
It doesn't look quite right on trying the cabinet but I think this isn't an insurmountable problem.
A couple of pictures with full light in the shed.
[attachment=17805][attachment=17806]
Paint the mask black???

P.
Hi Trevor, as Peter suggests paint it black, but watch out for angry Bushman.

Geordie McBoyne.
Hi.
Yes I'd say Black is the way to go, its off the bench at the moment after my workshop PC blew up, just about to see if the HDD content is OK and copy the files I need to my laptop, at least it has a 1TB HDD so plenty of space.
I see CPC are doing a refurbished one for £99.
(30-06-2018, 02:46 PM)Murphyv310 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi.
I recently scrapped a very poor condition Sony TV9-90UB but kept all the decent parts. I kept the tube but never actually got round to testing it on the CRT Tester.
I had a rather daft idea to try it on my project TV22 that has a BRC 950 Jellypot LOPT, Flywheel sync, Cathode follower video amp with full DC coupling from detector to tube and EHT stabilisation.
I just cobbled it all up and I got this result. Amazing result, far better than I thought possible. I think it will be a permanent fixture.

Hi Do you know if this would work with the original TV22 Lopt as well,I use a small crt out of one of those 5 inch tvs in testing my tvs after restoration before refitting the original crt to avoid any possible mishaps with it. I also have a few crts out of various sets and have thought about using them also in mine that have duff crts.
Hi.
Highly unlikely to work with the TV 22 lopt. The original tube is 57 degree deflection and the Sony tube 90 degree. There is really only enough power on the Bush transformer and circuitry for the original tube.
Against that, the modern scan coils will be wound on more efficient material and the neck is narrower. Hence the number of amp-turns needed may not be wildly different. Only real way to tell is measuring deflection sensitivity. Or just trying it.

Haven't mentioned the match or mismatch. I've no idea if older scan coils were usually more turns at lower current, or fewer turns at higher current.
Hi,
The frame coils seem a good match and height has plenty of reserve.
As Jeffrey says maybe suck it and see, EHT needs to be 8-9Kv but it can give a really bright picture so I'd assume the beam current will be higher with the Sony CRT than the old Mullard.
Being fair Id like to see if it does work, the Jury though isn't out yet I suppose, Id happily bow down if I'm wrong.
I also thought that a 11 inch tube would be a better fit against the mask, The Philips T-vette was 11 inch and there is the Sony 110UK as well so a possible source of tubes.
(10-07-2018, 11:24 AM)Murphyv310 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi.
Highly unlikely to work with the TV 22 lopt. The original tube is 57 degree deflection and the Sony tube 90 degree. There is really only enough power on the Bush transformer and circuitry for the original tube.

Hi yes I Had forgotten about the deflection angles, Doh!.
Pages: 1 2